Tuesday, January 06, 2009

And now for a more practical attempt at some goals

I’m taking classes this week and it’s probably a good way to ease into the semester, but half the time they seem to be cancelled or cut short and I end up with some free time on my hands. Right now I spent one such hour on writing a blog post rather than getting started on any of the real work on my to do list. I think I can cut myself some slack as it’s only the second day of the semester and it’s likely I would have prolonged the break anyway if it wasn’t for this course, but I wouldn’t want it to go on like this for very long.

I will have a lot of unstructured time this semester, and that’s promising for being able to be productive, but also dangerous for someone like me who work better and more efficiently if I have a lot to do. In some ways I think the craziness of last year’s schedule forced me to be productive in the short time spans I had available and this year it will just be easy to let administration and all the little day to day tasks take over the days.

I’ve tried various schedules for what to do each day before and they usually fall apart after a while, but maybe it’s time to try to follow a new one any way. So for the weeks where I don’t have another full-time activity going on I’ll try to follow this reincarnation of a previously tried and tested schedule.

For all days where I’m not full-time occupied with something else (at meetings, in classes, travelling)

At least 4 hours research (actual writing and reading):

At least 2 hours writing first thing every day
1 hour reading to catch up on literature

No more than 4 hours admin (anything else than writing and reading incl. student advising, meetings, phonecalls, other research-related tasks, planning, reports):

At least 1 hour spent on typing up field notes, photo lists etc for last year’s field report until it’s done

That’s it.

For this week I’ll spend these extra hours (if any more comes my way) to catch up on the literature for big projects I’m supposed to know something about by now.

4 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said...

That's a lot of hours in one day. 12 hour days day after day seem like a harsh regimen. But I know what you mean about needing requirements and structure to make sure stuff gets done and not just blog (commenting).

ANd in my case, it's back to it.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Silver Fox said...

I thought it added up to a lot of hours, too! I'm not sure what my average blog time is when working, but it probably is 1-2 hours at least. Hard to estimate an average. Maybe I should keep track of it!

Good luck on your goals. I'm still working on mine!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Wayfarer Scientista said...

Good luck! (And hello again :) )

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

Award for you at my place!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home